Did you know?
Christchurch Airport is New Zealand's second largest airport, with 12 partner airlines coming from 25 destinations.
As the international gateway for Christchurch and the South Island, we are the busiest and most strategic air connection to the world's trade and tourism markets.
2022 Financial Year passenger numbers*
- 3.26 million passengers travelled in and out of Christchurch Airport in the 2022 financial year. That compares to 3.71 million the prior year and just under 7 million pre-pandemic.
- Domestic passengers reduced 15% year on year whilst international passengers grew 152% as borders began to reopen in the second half of the year.
- For visitor arrival numbers by country of residence, please refer to Statistics New Zealand's monthly releases.
- View our monthly passenger arrivals and departures here.
2022 Financial Year reporting*
- Net Profit After Tax, including underlying operating profit and revaluations of our investment property, totalled $59.5 million compared to $38.7 million the previous year.
- Our property portfolio performed strongly. Fair value gains on our investment property portfolio were $48.4 million, compared to $47.8 million the previous year. Our overall investment property portfolio was valued at $714 million, up 10.2% on the previous year.
- Our balance sheet strengthened with total asset book value increasing to $2,148 million. That’s growth of about $225 million since the start of the pandemic.
- The Board of Directors declared a dividend of $2.8 million.
- As a result we reported a positive Net Profit After Tax and paid a dividend each year of the pandemic.
Want to learn more? You can view our Annual Reviews here.
*to end of June 2022
Supporting our community
As a business, we support the Christchurch, Canterbury and South Island economy in a wide range of ways:
- More than 7,000 people are employed on the airport campus in full time, part time or casual roles, making it the largest single centre of employment in the South Island.
- We create employment for more than 20,000 full time equivalent workers in the Canterbury region.
- Antarctic operations delivers $80 million in direct benefits to the city annually.
From local aerodrome to major international airport, discover our journey since 1936.Find out more