Travelling with children
Ready, set, go go go!
When you’re managing little ones at the airport, a little extra planning and preparation can go a long way. To make your life easier, we’ve put all the information you need to know about travelling with children or babies together in one place. Have a read and get set to enjoy a kid-friendly, stress-free journey with us!
Allow extra time
With kids in tow, you’ll want to make sure you arrive at the airport early. Give yourself plenty of time to get here, especially if you’re crossing town at peak travel times.
Once you get to the airport you’ll need time to check-in and, if your flight departs from Gates 16 - 34, to go through security screening and immigration. To find out exactly when you need to check in for your flight, please contact your airline directly.
What can you bring?
Most airlines will allow you to include two items from this list for each infant and child in your group:
- Pram, stroller or buggy
- Car seat
- Bassinet or port-a-cot
These items are in addition to their normal baggage allowance:
- Child fares have the same baggage allowance as adult fares
- Infant fares include a carry-on bag but no checked-in baggage
- For your convenience, some strollers can be used right up to the boarding gate.
For more information on baggage allowances, please visit your airline's website.
When you’re travelling with kids, having access to private areas away from the hubbub of the airport is essential. We provide 13 parent rooms throughout the terminal, equipped with changing facilities and other conveniences so that you can tend to your children’s needs.
- In the main Check-in area, there are two parent rooms (to the left and right of the main doors) each equipped with a change table and shower.
- In the upstairs Food Court, you’ll find a parent room with change table, feeding chair, microwave and shower.
- The parent room located in Domestic Departures contains a change table, feeding chair, microwave and shower.
- At Gates 3-14, you’ll find a parent room equipped with a change table.
- In International Arrivals bag claim there are two parent rooms. The room closer to the baggage claim contains a change table, shower and feeding chair. The other room contains a change table and feeding chair.
- International Departures contains a parent room with a change table.
For information on the full range of facilities, information and services at the airport, please click here.
Need to make a call? You can find details about our phone services here.
Cuddly toy gone walkabout? Contact lost and found services here.
From necessities to niceties…
Whether you’re passing time, buying gifts for whānau or stocking up on travel essentials, you’ll find a range of shops here at Christchurch Airport.
- Kids toys and souvenirs – Aelia Duty Free, Explore, The Gift Company, Relay
- Clothing – Global Culture, Explore, Naturally NZ, The Official All Blacks Store
- Books and games – Relay, Hub Café & Bar
- Baby products – Unichem Spitfire Square, Countdown Spitfire Square
See our full range of airport shops here, and be sure to check out our latest deals and promotions here.
Busy kids are happy kids
With so much to do at the airport, it’s like a destination in itself! We’ve gone to special lengths to create a heap of kid-friendly spaces and activities. From games to puzzles, art to technology and even puppy cuddles there are plenty of ways to keep kids entertained while they’re here.
- Have a game of table tennis
- Play a tune on our piano
- Do the Canterbury Planes giant puzzle
- Check out our street art or events
- Pick up a free Mini Explorer Passport Activity Book and pack of pencils at one of the airport information desks
- Enjoy pats, cuddles and paw-fives with our team of P.A.W.S pet therapy dogs and handlers
For more ideas and details, head to our Discover page.
Our top priority is for you to have a safe journey with us.
If you’re departing from Gates 16 - 34 you must go through a security screening process. Be sure to allow extra time for this and, if your child is old enough, help them understand what to expect and why it’s an important part of the process.
Parents of young children will be pleased to know they can take extra food, drink, baby powder and formula, in amounts considered reasonable for the flight.
You can take:
- formula (powder or liquid form)
- milk (all types)
- fruit drink
- sterile water (in refillable flasks)
- baby food (commercial or homemade)
- wet wipes
- Vaseline/nappy cream
- talcum/baby powder
- Pamol (or other child-specific pain reliever)
- teething gel
- soft toys containing granular material
- medical prescriptions including creams, lotions, balms, gel solutions, pills, tablets, and powders, prescribed by a registered medical practitioner
Please check the full list of restrictions and information here.
We hope that you feel fully equipped for your journey ahead, whoever is part of your crew. If you have further questions about travelling with kids or helpful feedback for us, please contact us here.